small upgrade

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by DemonocracY, May 5, 2011.

1. DemonocracY

DemonocracY no vaseline...... just gravel Staff Member Administrator

Ok guys,im thinking on getting tomorow a new HD and more memory for my pc,so need some help to buy the right thing for the right price.

my spec are:

Asus P7P55D Intel P55 SK1156
    Intel Core i3 540 3.06GHz 4MB
    G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 2x2GB 1600MHz CAS9 1.5v Low Voltage
    Western Digital Disco Rigido 320gb 16MB Sata II
    Gforce GTS 450
    Noctua NH-U12P SE2

runing W7 32bits

have seen this two options...

HD

Memory

i can go to 100eur.
  2. Shark

Shark Getting the band back together... Staff Member Leader

I'll be the first to reply.

1. What is the performance gain you hope to get out of increasing your memory?

You already have 4GB while running a 32-bit version of Windows 7. Your OS cannot even address this amount. Adding more would not even show up. If you want to go above about 3.2 GB of Addressable physical memory, then you will need to get a 64-bit version of windows. But, that does not solve your issue with memory. Since with the added about of bits processed at any given time it will actually use more memory. I would say your Memory amount is fine for what you have and you prolly do not even use all of it right now.

2. If you want to see the biggest performance gain, I would improve your GPU or CPU. But, Both are decent and should allow you to play most games right now just fine. Also, remember that in most setups, your system is only as fast as your slowest component. Look for the bottleneck and address that if desired.

Once again, what is your performance gain expectation?
  3. quicksilver8478

quicksilver8478 Ace Status CallMeMaybe?

perfectly said. and I concur with shark. unless you want to pony up the money for a Core i7 and a 500 series card.. your performance gain will be minimal.
  4. Bender

Bender Squad Perk Nazi Staff Member Leader

Mr. Demon

I know I give you Mexicans a lot of shit but when it comes to PC configs I know what's what.

Honestly you would see a zero in-game performance gain with the above listed upgrades. If I were you I would dedicate your dollars towards improved CPU cooling and a better GPU. You have a very solid and insane performing dual core CPU that can be clocked near 5GHz.

When in comes to your system I would focus more on dialing in on your system (CPU and RAM clocks) and a improved GPU.
    ;)
  5. Shark

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bender @ May 5 2011, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Not only tactful, but modest too. Well done, sir. ;)
  6. Crazydan

Crazydan Nub Status CallMeMaybe?

And I still have a pentium 4 with 2 gigs ram with a 9600 gt...I'm so fucking behind times :(
  7. Guss_

Guss_ Ace Status

9400 gt here, and bc2 rocks :lol:
  8. Bender

mmhmmm and you still lag like a dirty burrito. I see players from China and the Philippines that lag less than you (not to mention you're much closer to Dallas than they are) ;)
  9. DemonocracY

hum...keep in mind that im a noob at these things :) so my idea was,putting more memory in the pc to increase the speed, i know that i have to get a 64-bits to recognise the 8g for use,daily for,gaming,whatching HD movies,work on music and internet.Right now I cant spend money on a gpu or cpu,but until the end of the year I want an i7,so it would be good now that I can,to do small upgrades.

So if I put a new and better HD and start to use the 64bits with the 8G will the difference be that low ?

But then when I get the i7 it will be better right?

ABout the Gpu,wouldn´t be better if I used another in SLI? At least it stays cheaper.

Thankx,its better to do these questions than doing bling shopping lol...
  10. Shark

I'd say you are in the classic dual core versus quad-core dilemma. The only time a quad-core will really help you, is if a specific game is optimized for quad cores, as well as if you are doing high processing required tasks, like video encoding or what not.

Adding a second 450 would definitely give a direct increase in performance. Bear in mind that most games these days are ports (BC2 and BLOPS included) and are heavily dependent upon the CPU. Consequently, you will get more bang for your buck with a CPU increase over another GPU.

Overclocking your current CPU would give you an incremental gain, without the purchase of a whole new CPU. I believe this is where Bender was leading you with the CPU cooling recommendation. You could add a relatively cheap CPU cooler ($50 US) and get a really good air cool going.
  11. Bender

Demon you wouldn't even need to upgrade to i7 for a much improved gaming experience (a low to mid ranged i5 quad would do you well for your gaming needs). Also an improved GPU with a greater frame buffer (VRAM) and additional processing cores would perform better than a second 450 in SLI (always base your systems performance baseline on your master GPU... everything gets piped through the first one).

I really don't want to type out an entire mess on PC upgrades but if you hop on vent I would be more than happy to shoot the shit with you about your rig.
    :D
  12. DemonocracY

Always thought that my Noctua was a VERY GOOD Cpu cooler,then when it comes to overclock,have try it 2 or 3 times and allways got a blue screen or a total shutdown of the pc lol

So reading all this...will keep the money for the future Cpu and Gpu if needed.

Thankx

Bender I will try to hope on vent tomorow after work,if not i will be on vent in the tournament...if its tomorrow
  13. Bender

Pretty much any Noctua cooler is good, I can point you in the right direction with OC'n. Also you need to make sure that your components are at least running at their advertised specs because initially they are only going to run at what your default BIOS are.
  14. Guss_

Guss_ Ace Status

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bender @ May 5 2011, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Hmm.. you right, but sometimes the other connection users make me lag; so, that was sarcasm..
    and btw, I am not who celebrate "cinco de mayo".. mexi..